Thursday, March 12, 2009

What a week--part 2--Tate in the NICU

Tate was born with a bang on Wednesday, March 4, 2009. He was doing really well, and besides a little jaundice everything was going accordingly. He was nursing well which was encouraging because Abby wasn't much of a nurser. They decided to put him under the fluorescent billirubin lights late in the day on Friday, March 6th because we were going to be there a few more days because of my C-section, we decided it would be good that he could be under the lights and get rid of the jaundice before we left the hospital and then were wouldn't have to worry about having to put him under the lights at home like we did with Abby.
Well on Saturday our pediatrician came to me and said that it looked like we would need to start supplementing Tate with formula because he had lost 1 pound, his billirubin count was still high, and his urine was really brown which was concerning for the pediatrician. Initially I was upset that I had to start supplementing because I was hoping that the nursing thing would go better this time and I wouldn't have to do formula, but I wanted to do what was best for the baby. Because his urine was brown the pediatrician ordered a urine analysis to be done to find out exactly why. The initial analysis looked "dirty" according to the lab, ordered another one to be done via catheter. They told us we would most likely have the results back late Saturday afternoon.
The doctor called us with the results and said he was concerned because again his urine was brown and looked dirty so he called a urologist at Primary Children's to see why that was. The urologist stated that it could possibly be a fistula which happens when the stool mixes with the urine because there are problems with the bowels and rectum. But Tate had already had a few bowel movements and his rectum looked intact so our doctor was perplexed. He told us that we would most likely discharge on Sunday and then take Tate up to Primary Children's on Monday to run some tests to see what was going on.
I was pretty upset and hormonal of course because we didn't really know how serious the situation was and we most likely weren't going to get answers for another day or so. On Saturday night Jake had taken Abby to get something to eat with his family and I had called my sister Katie to tell her what was going on. Being the sweet sister that Katie is she could that I was upset so she decided to come and hang out with me at the hospital and keep me company. She also butted in like most older sisters do and asked my Dad to come over to the hospital to give Tate and I a priesthood blessing for health and comfort which was very thoughtful. I was grateful for my family's concern and support.
The next day on Sunday I went to my discharge class, and in the middle of it my pediatrician came to come and talk to me. He told me that he had been on the phone with more specialists after he had spoken with me the previous night and said that he wasn't convinced that Tate had a fistula and that is why his urine was brown. He said it was more likely that Tate was ultra dehydrated because he hadn't been getting much liquid from me like we thought and then we had him under the billirubin lights for his jaundice. So Dr. Ebherhard said that he was going to admit him to the NICU to be put on some fluids to see if that helped the brown urine. He also said that they would be able to run further tests to make sure everything else was OK. Honestly when he told me that I was relieved that hopefully that was all the problem was. So they admitted him into the NICU, and we weren't able to go home with him which was hard but OK because we felt better that he was getting the care he needed so he would be 100% when he came home. The only other hard thing was that I needed to go to the hospital every 3 hours to feed Tate and I couldn't drive because I had a C-section. I didn't necessarily have to go to the hospital but it was the only time that I would be able to see Tate and hold him, they would allow me 1 hour to feed and hold him and then they had to put him back onto his monitors and under the billirubin lights. In fact one time I went to feed him and they had already fed him with a bottle because he had woken up early and was fussing. When they told me they had already fed him I started to cry (yes the hormones were in full swing.) Luckily my sister Katie was awesome and took me back and fourth to the hospital multiple times while Jake stayed with Abby because children weren't allowed in the NICU, and my parents and Jake's mom also took me. I initially thought that Tate would only have to be in there for a couple of days, but I didn't realize that it would take time to work Tate up to the amount of IV fluids they wanted him on and then it would take time to work his way off them because they wanted to observe how he did through the whole process of coming off the fluids to see if he would be OK without them. I am just grateful it was just a few days and not months that he had to be in the NICU, honestly I don't know how people who have to do that make it through.
So on Wednesday the doctor told me that he was doing really well and after doing a renal ultrasound, a head ultrasound and other lab workups everything was looking normal and he would most likely come home in the next few days. Well I was hoping we would be able to take him home on Thursday and sure enough we got a call from the nurse in the NICU stating that the doctor had discharged him. It was so exciting yet kind of scary because now we were bringing him home and I just didn't want anything else bad to happen. Tate's delivery had been nothing like we had planned or anticipated and it was neat to see how much love and support we had through the whole thing from our family, friends, and ward members.
It's funny how each kid is so different. Tate's pregnancy, delivery, and post-delivery were TOTALLY different and more difficult than our first time around with Abby and I have joked with Jake that he better shape up because he has been a trouble maker from the start. But really he is such a good baby and has been so fun to have in our family.
Here is Jake dressing Tate to get him ready to bring home from the NICU. (Notice the camo outfit for Tate that his Daddy picked out.)


Lacey said...

Al...I am so glad that he is ok and doing well. I feel for you....I've been there. I wish I woud have known sooner and I would've come to hang out with you. It is so hard when they have problems and then you have to have them admitted to the NICU and then not be able to take them home. I seriously don't know how people do it for months! I am glad it was only a few days for Tate. He is an absolute doll

Mary said...

Im so sorry for all that you have had to go through. Im glad he is doing better. Grace had to be in the NICU also after she was born. Luckly she was only in there for the night. Oh and we have the doc for the kids I love Dr. Eberhard he is great.

The Webber's said...

Wow! What an experience! The NICU is probably the hardest thing I have done in my life! I'm glad that you made it through and that little Tate is doing well! I would love to meet him sometime - We should do lunch or something sometime soon!!!

Cheryl said...

I am so glad you posted this update. Little Man Tate is sooooo cute! I cant wait to hold him. We are leaving for Utah Sunday morning. See ya soon!

daiseymae said...

He is such a cute little guy! I'm glad things worked out in the end.

We had to do the NICU thing for a while too and I agree it is miserable! I ended up just staying there all day even when I couldn't hold her because it wasn't worth comming home. But I diddn't have another one waiting at home then either. I don't know how you were able to juggle it all. Wow!

Candace said...

I'm glad everything is ok. He sure is a handsome little guy! Your story sounds all to familar to me, I did the same thing with Kade (crying when I came and they had already fed him)I need to call you girl! We can have some fun conversations!

Picture Perfect said...

It's amazing to look at these experiences and think how you can get through it. I'm glad everything turned out well with him. He's so cute!

Quoizel chandeliers said...

Congratulations.!! Absolutely addorable.